The last home of George Cadbury, Manor House on the Bristol Road South, left abandoned since 2007, is now the subject of a planning application submitted to convert it into 20 apartments.
A planning application has now been submitted to the City Council to redeveloped the house and its surrounding grounds by Banner Homes Midlands. The house will be converted into 20 apartments and much of the surrounding buildings erected since 1953 being demolished. An additional 103 dwellings will be built in the grounds.
Northfield Manor House has belonged to the University of Birmingham since 1953, when it was bequeathed to them from the Cadbury family.
On acquisition by the University, the property was renamed The Manor House and converted for use from 1958 as a hall of residence. Additional wings have since been added. Its use as a hall of residence ceased in 2007, apparently because of prohibitive costs of bringing the property up to current health and safety standards.
It has since been shamefully abandoned by the University allowing it to slowly fall into disrepute.
It will be interesting to see what the University plans to do with the capital sum it receives for this development. The property was bequeathed to them by the Cadbury family. In addition we look forward to hearing what plans, if any, they have to commemorate this house as the last home of George Cadbury.